Sunday, July 29, 2012

What Do You Do With A Rubik's Cube?

Complete me! O_O AHH! One of life's mysteries solved,
however would you do it all over again?
It sits next to me on my desk: My completed Rubik's Cube. Two years ago, I solve one of the most complex, ridiculous, challenging, mind-numbing, three-dimensional puzzles ever to be mass produced and sold throughout the world's toy and game emporiums. However, now that I finished it, the multi-coloured and completed box just sits there.

It tempts me to mess it up again, however I would know how to fix it by going backward! There is the dilemma with giving a complete Rubik's Cube to a friend.

  1. They don't believe you actually finished it.
  2. They shuffle the squares so much that you can't complete it again.
Speaking on the latter point, I can't imagine how I would feel should I never complete a Rubik's Cube again. I suppose in the shifting and turning of sides, the adjusting and fixing of corners, and the losing and passing of time I could complete it, but how old would I be? Forty? Fifty? One hundred and twenty?! o_O

One of the solutions to any Rubik's Cube is to turn the cube, and rotate a side toward or away from your body. If you repeat those two steps, eventually your Cube will be solved. I tried that, but I felt the squares were twirling me around in circles LOL I'm sure there is one Rubik's Cube enthusiast who heard them all!

Pottermoosh: Complete ALL the Cubes!
One such enthusiast is British video blogger and student Lindsey Williams, whose YouTube channel name and stage name is Pottermoosh. Her friend Alex (Nerimon, also of YouTube) introduced Rubik's Cubes to her not too long ago, and now her collection includes Sudoku themed, 4x4 and even 6x6 Rubik's Cubes O_O I noticed in her videos most, if not all, of her cubes are complete; does she shuffles the cubes and start over? Who shuffles her Rubik's Cubes? What about the dreaded Rubik's Sphere? Who exactly is Rubik?

According to wikipedia, which is the one source for reliable and truthful information to bolster anyone's university term paper, Hungarian sculptor Erno Rubik invented the crafty and colourful puzzle in 1974, but the "Hungarian Magic Puzzle" took off as the worldwide phenomenon "Rubik's Cube" in the 1980s. Not only will you find the history of Erno, the Cube, and track the puzzle's rise to household fixture, but information on software, the patent process, and a suspect list on how to complete a Rubik's Cube should your frustrations and rising anger for the planet Earth and everything in it boil over.

In the meantime, I will keep my Rubik's Cube the way it is, and buy a new one to fix up. This one here is quite ancient, and there are air pockets forming underneath the coloured stickers. Who knows? If I fix enough cubes, I might end up like this dude...

Keep Calm & Game On, Players!

1 comment:

  1. or you could end up like Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happiness ;-) Just gotta work on the timing. lol

    ReplyDelete